[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Fri Sep 2 11:31:01 PDT 2005

1) For 50% of the ridge hike, there's no reasonable way to mountain
bike.  You'd be over the edge and going almost straight down
immediately.  You feel like you're going to do that just hiking.  The
trail is very difficult, and this wasn't the most difficult by far.

2) We were just musing about the limits of endurance that are reasonably
possible.  I have some reasonable depth because of my high school
running, but I sit in front of a computer far too much to really be in
shape.  In fact, on the ridge hike I was dying because I had to take a
few months off of serious exercise due to a foot injury.  My cardio
regressed a lot.  You can get amazingly far if you just sit and rest to
recover every few minutes.  I would have paid some serious money for an
air lift the last 5 miles.

sdw