[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Andy Armstrong andy
Fri Sep 2 11:39:19 PDT 2005

On 2 Sep 2005, at 19:30, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> 1) For 50% of the ridge hike, there's no reasonable way to mountain
> bike.  You'd be over the edge and going almost straight down
> immediately.  You feel like you're going to do that just hiking.
> The trail is very difficult, and this wasn't the most difficult by
> far.

I believe I've seen pictures of Hans Rey riding a ridge on Hawaii
that sounds like the one you describe. Plenty of ridges in Hawaii
though and he is /very/ good. I'd walk it and be scared doing that I
expect.

> 2) We were just musing about the limits of endurance that are
> reasonably possible.  I have some reasonable depth because of my
> high school running, but I sit in front of a computer far too much
> to really be in shape.  In fact, on the ridge hike I was dying
> because I had to take a few months off of serious exercise due to a
> foot injury.  My cardio regressed a lot.  You can get amazingly far
> if you just sit and rest to recover every few minutes.  I would
> have paid some serious money for an air lift the last 5 miles.

OK :)

I'm sort of doubting that lack of fitness is the reason why people
didn't leave their homes - although generally being unaccustomed to
walking /anywhere/ may well be a factor. An American friend of mine
who spends a fair amount of time here (UK) is always surprised when
she goes home that even her fit mountain biking friends have what she
perceives as an extraordinary reluctance to walk a few city blocks. I
guess you get into a state where it ceases to be apparent that you
can actually travel without any kind of machine. I'm not sure blame
for that can be laid at the feet of individuals though.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net