[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

B.K. DeLong bkdelong
Fri Sep 2 12:21:00 PDT 2005

To add to the chaos, DirectNic said their diesel delivery was
CANCELLED today due to Bush being in town. Jesus.

At 03:18 PM 9/2/2005, Owen Byrne wrote:
> From lbo-talk:
>"There are gangs of white vigilantes near here riding around in
>pickup trucks, all of them armed, and any young Black they see who
>they figure doesn't belong in their community, they shoot him."
>
>Sounds like a good reason to stay put even if it isn't true. Rumours
>spread like crazy when there is no electricity.
>Owen
>

>>I'm sort of doubting that lack of fitness is the reason why people
>>didn't leave their homes - although generally being unaccustomed to
>>walking /anywhere/ may well be a factor. An American friend of mine
>>who spends a fair amount of time here (UK) is always surprised when
>>she goes home that even her fit mountain biking friends have what she
>>perceives as an extraordinary reluctance to walk a few city blocks. I
>>guess you get into a state where it ceases to be apparent that you
>>can actually travel without any kind of machine. I'm not sure blame
>>for that can be laid at the feet of individuals though.

B.K. DeLong
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.2472

http://bkdelong.mit.edu                       Work.
http://www.brain-stream.com               Play.
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org        Potter.
http://www.city-of-doors.com               Sigil.
http://www.hackerfoundation.org          Future.
http://www.osvdb.org/                         Security.
http://www.wkdelong.org           Son.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org