[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Adam L Beberg beberg
Fri Sep 2 15:20:20 PDT 2005

Andy Armstrong wrote on 9/2/2005 2:21 PM:
> On 2 Sep 2005, at 20:54, Adam L Beberg wrote:
>
>> FoRKers are not normal Americans in any sense, we're smart, fit,  and
>> can adapt to anything in a hurry. I doubt any of us would have  stayed
>> at all. If we had, we could all get out in single-digit  hours
>> afterwards. Connect with bandwidth shortly after and network  with
>> family/friends/associates to have a place to stay/eat/sleep.  Max 24
>> hours.
>
> Yes, Ok, maybe. I mean perhaps. Who knows? But how is it relevant?  How
> is it anything other than distastefully self congratulatory?

It's relivant because the people trapped there now do not
think/act/exist the way we do. They arent like us. They lack the skills
we have. They are elderly and/or obese. They cannot walk to high ground.
They do need help getting out. Help that is still lacking due to all the
helpers being in Iraq.

Same problem all academics get into, assuming other humans are like
themselves and have the skills and capacity they have. i.e. personification.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/