[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Andy Armstrong andy
Fri Sep 2 15:33:13 PDT 2005

On 2 Sep 2005, at 23:20, Adam L Beberg wrote:
> It's relivant because the people trapped there now do not think/act/
> exist the way we do. They arent like us. They lack the skills we
> have. They are elderly and/or obese. They cannot walk to high
> ground. They do need help getting out. Help that is still lacking
> due to all the helpers being in Iraq.

So what you're saying is that if FoRK gets hit by a hurricane it'll
be a different story? I still don't see how banging on about the
survival skills of the members of this mailing list says anything
constructive about the situation on the Gulf coast right now.

> Same problem all academics get into, assuming other humans are like
> themselves and have the skills and capacity they have. i.e.
> personification.

So all you're actually saying is "I would have walked out, they
haven't - therefore you have no sympathy for their situation"? Is
that your general approach to life: that anyone who hasn't responded
as well as you believe you would is undeserving of your help?
Presumably that means you don't help anybody: if they screw up in
your terms they don't deserve help and if they're as magnificent as
you they obviously won't need your help.

I'm not trying to rephrase your argument to make it easier to attack
- that's genuinely what I'm hearing. Am I wrong?

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net