[FoRK] Disaster Capitalism

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Fri Sep 2 22:13:16 PDT 2005

Exactly.  And probably all expenses were covered by the boost in Kohler
contracts for NYC alone.  I'll bet every fixture in the new WTC will be
Kohler.  The scale of some of these problems is such that building a
unit like you would build a factory, one off and highly optimized, is
exactly what is needed.  It just isn't that hard to solve some of these
problems, given a megacorp budget.

Now, what the heck are we spending 500 Million a day on for New Orleans
that it takes 5 days for a convoy to roll into town??
Congress approved 10.5 Billion which it was said was already being spent
at 500 Million a day.  $500,000,000 = 500,000 people * $1000 PER DAY,
PER PERSON.  Really, 80% of the people left, so it's $5000 per day per
person.  Confirmed here:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-09-02-katrinacongressaid_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

Couldn't they have put up a bounty for $500-1000 for every private or
corporate rescue?  $100 for every dead body retrieved.  Sure it's
dangerous, but so is standing in your attic in a waterlogged house up to
your neck in who knows what.

The mind boggles.  The money's not going down the drain, that's
clogged.  :-/  Helecopters cost a lot to operate, but beyond the
baseline budget of FEMA, which this shouldn't be paying for, where are
expenses of that scale and why were they not more effective?
I hope to see a good accounting of this.  And what it means to
Halliburton's or whoever's bottom line.  I'm all for corporate funding
when it's effective.  I'm happy to see a company make tons of money for
getting a key bridge built after an earthquake, preventing huge losses
due to lack of a bridge.  Make these kinds of things performance based
and you will see performance.

sdw