[FoRK] Re: [silk] "Don't be evil"

Jeff Bone jbone
Fri Sep 2 23:41:45 PDT 2005

BTW, I think I'm probably obligated to disclose that yes, I indeed
made a ton of money on GOOG.  In addition to that, my employer also
made a ton of money on GOOG, though to them / us that's only another
meaningless symbol / signal / potential source of noise or valuable
information.

I myself do not own Google today, so please don't take this as a
statement of principle in the wrong way.  AFAIR, I haven't made any
significant statements about GOOG's prospects for the duration.
FWIW, as a current non-owner of GOOG, I think they're doing something
far more interesting than the tech --- they're engaging in meme-
engineering Wall Street in a far more effective, productive, and long-
term valuable way than any company I can point to, to date.  Despite
their shortcomings on many dimensions, they're forcing the Street to
look at value in new, and longer-horizon, ways --- while still
accounting for the possibility of non-linear change.  Call it, for
all its meanings --- Bubble 2.0.  (Take this for what it's worth.
I've lost more money than I could even hope to gain in the future
through gut-check market calls.  The amazing thing about computers as
pattern recognition systems is that they don't have limbic systems to
interfere with / muddy the math. ;-)

+2, IME.

jb