[FoRK] Global Strategic Aid Bombing

snitsnat snitilicious
Sat Sep 3 10:16:02 PDT 2005

At 12:28 PM 9/3/2005, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>http://www.psywarrior.com/GiftsFromAbove.html
>
>It's not that tough to design a compact, bouyant, and slow descending
>package that can be packed tight until deployment.  The idea of dropping a
>whole pallet is pretty dumb in most situations, even where it's dry.

like MREs? :) They airdropped MREs as individual packages in Bosnia during
Clinton's first term.

I thought you'd like this, since you're so into inventions and creativity:

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001059.html

As for the rest, they don't drop pallets, as I said. And, they've already
airdropped food to the people on highway 10. (It's possible that the
reporter was lying or he got his facts wrong.)

ttp://www.ascho.wpafb.af.mil/korea/photos/cap7b.HTM
http://www.wfp.org/newsroom/in_brief/africa/sudan/040804_darfur.asp?section=2&sub_section=2

My dad was a paratrooper during Vietnam, though an accident wrecked his
hips and knees (and his baseball career as a catcher, ack).

Sure, it requires coordination, but I would rather see some people die when
a bladder of water falls on their head than I would to see them die from
not trying at all. Just as I'd rather they be evacuated in buses, even
though it was statistically inevitable that a bus would turn over and
people who'd thought they were home free ended up dying. It feels awful,
but no one in their right mind would have said, "Wait, we can't evacuate
them by roadway, somebody is inevitably going to die in a bus accident!"

http://www.qmfound.com/operation_provide_promise.htm
http://www.kolchak.org/127/images/16112000-010.gif

I agree that it would take time, but if this is our response to an
emergency like this, after years of being told we have to prepare for 911,
we are a 10th world Nation. By Jan 5th, we were at least discussing
parachuting food and water into the Tsunami victims. All I heard was that
turkey saying it was impossible. Had he the decency to use a real
explanation -- sorry I don't buy the pallet thing because of the above --
that it was just too difficult to coordinate so quickly, I'd have been
happy. Instead, he tells the newsjoker something that was simply not true
since they don't always airdrop by tossing pallets out the backend of a
plane. He was just dweeb, some tool, that got sent to spin the news and he did.

But, I don't have energy to argue over this. I'm going to try to get things
done so I can volunteer and help Ben DeLong with transcribing.

Ta,

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

                        -- rwmartin