[FoRK] Global Strategic Aid Bombing

Kevin Elliott k-elliott
Sat Sep 3 11:30:46 PDT 2005

At 13:15 -0400  on  9/3/05, snitsnat wrote:
>At 12:28 PM 9/3/2005, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>>http://www.psywarrior.com/GiftsFromAbove.html

Please, leaflets are easy.  Their light and they float to the ground
on their own.  Nice and easy.

>>It's not that tough to design a compact, bouyant, and slow
>>descending package that can be >packed tight until deployment.  The
>>idea of dropping a whole pallet is pretty dumb in most >situations,
>>even where it's dry.
>like MREs? :) They airdropped MREs as individual packages in Bosnia
>during Clinton's first >term.

Sure.  In open terrain from low flying cargo plain, that would be
pretty easy.  It's also not suitable for New Orleans.

>I thought you'd like this, since you're so into inventions and creativity:
>
>http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001059.html

 From the article you posted:
"Chase says the answer has been the same from every branch of the
U.S. military he's approached: "We don't have a requirement for your
concept. No one has come to us asking for this.""

So how does this help us?  Should the military have bought a bunch of
technology in case it might be useful in the future?  Then just put
up with the crap from congress about buying things the don't need?

>As for the rest, they don't drop pallets, as I said. And, they've
>already airdropped food to >the people on highway 10. (It's possible
>that the reporter was lying or he got his facts >wrong.)
>
>ttp://www.ascho.wpafb.af.mil/korea/photos/cap7b.HTM

In "30 January 1951" the military didn't have plane that could handle
ballet drops.  Ballet drops didn't come about until the first plane
with a ramp in the rear.

>http://www.wfp.org/newsroom/in_brief/africa/sudan/040804_darfur.asp?section=2&sub_secti>on=2

Are you suggesting we have the WFP drop 50lb bags of rise on New Orleans?

>Had he the decency to use a real explanation -- sorry I don't buy
>the pallet thing because >of the above --

One photo deserves a few more...

<http://www.air-and-space.com/20031022%20Edwards/07%2010%20C-17A%2087-0025%20412TW%20right%20side%20pallet%20drop%20in%20flight%20l.jpg>

<http://www.air-and-space.com/20031022%20Edwards/03%2024%20C-130J%2098-1355%20Maryland%20ANG%20left%20side%20pallet%20drop%20in%20flight%20l.jpg>

<http://www.air-and-space.com/20031025%20Edwards/03%2006%20pallet%20parachute%20l.jpg>

And mine are even in color...

Now, I'll admit you are correct that it's not necessary to use pallet
to do the drops, but in todays army that's how drops are set up to be
done.   You can drop more stuff, with greater accuracy using pallets.
And the army has to use the technology it actually has in hand.  They
don't have time to go around trying to figure out how to do new
things their not set up for.  They need to focusing on using what
they have to get the job done.