[FoRK] blogging from NOLA

Ryan King ryan
Sat Sep 3 13:10:43 PDT 2005

On Sep 1, 2005, at 10:19 AM, B.K. DeLong wrote:

> A friend on another list brought up an interesting point:
>
>> What kind of company puts a high-availability data center on the
>> 27th floor of a building with glass windows in a city below sea
>> level, next to the water, and known for hurricanes? Isn't this a
>> poor choice? Granted, they do seem to be doing fine, but wouldn't
>> be easier on everybody if this place was buried in the middle of
>> say, some place not known for floods, fires, earthquakes, or other
>> natural disasters but still has a good workforce to draw from?
>> (e.g. Denver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, etc etc etc)

Indeed. It reminds me of when I was talking to an IT director of
Walmart once. He was describing their recently built data center - it
is under a mountain in colorado, has food and water for its employees
to live on for months, produces all its own electricity.... in short,
Walmart's data center would survive a direct nuclear attack.

Kinda scary.

-ryan