[FoRK] Re: [silk] "Don't be evil"

Jeff Bone jbone
Sat Sep 3 14:10:31 PDT 2005

I would like to point this out to all the idealists / non-conspiracy-
theorists in the audience:

Yes, at its core revenue principles, Google is an advertising
company.  Can you think of a *less obtrusive* and *less manipulative*
advertising operation, anywhere, in any media, on this planet, today?

That's not to say that there is not a SERIOUS meme-engineering meme-
propagation ideology-shifting capacity problem that needs to be
considered.  But ask yourself:  does the memeset that GOOG is
currently steering interfere with your needs?  If not, when it does
--- how do you compete?  Is the propensity for "evil" worthy of
agitating against today --- and if so, how?  How do we, as humans
(and trans- or post-humans, for that matter) "innoculate" ourselves
against memes that work for others, or even for ourselves in the
short-term but which are negative in the long-term?

I don't have answers to these questions, but I find them compelling
--- and unnerving --- in the same way that I found the question of
"if we enable people to instantly message each other, over mobile
devices, and non-mobile devices?" compelling and unnerving at Active
Paper and Activerse.

Tradeoffs.  It's the root dilemma of any significantly, socially
important engineering project.   I will risk saying:  Oppenheimer
would agree.

jb