[FoRK] Re: [silk] "Don't be evil"

Wilkin, Kurt Kurt.Wilkin
Sat Sep 3 18:20:25 PDT 2005

"This announcement is a red flag," said Daniel Brandt,
founder of Google-Watch.org. "I certainly don't want to
accuse of them having bad intentions. But this campaign
of destruction and genocide raises some potential
privacy concerns."

Brandt also expressed reservations about the company's
new motto. Until yesterday's news conference, the
company's unofficial slogan had been "Don't be evil."
The slogan has now been expanded to "Don't be evil,
unless it's necessary for the greater good."

Co-founders Page and Brin dismiss their critics.

"A lot of companies are so worried about short-term
reactions that they ignore the long view," Page said.
"Not us. Our team is focused on something more than just making money.
At Google, we're using technology to make dreams come true."

"Soon," Brin added, "we'll make dreams clickable, or destroy them
forever."

--
This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential and
intended for the named recipient's use only.  If you are not the intended
recipient (i) do not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way, (ii)
please let us know by return email immediately then destroy the message, and
any hard copies of the message, and any attachments.  The sender of this
message is not responsible for any changes made to this message and/or any
attachments and/or connection linkages to the Internet referred to in this
message after it has been sent.  Unless otherwise stated, any pricing
information given in this message and/or attachments is indicative only, is
subject to change and does not constitute an offer to buy or sell securities
or derivatives at any price quoted.  Any reference to the terms of executed
transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject to separate
formal written notification.  Where reference is made to research material
and/or research recommendations, the basis of the provision of such research
material and/or recommendations is set out in the relevant disclaimer.