[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

snitsnat snitilicious
Sat Sep 3 19:06:29 PDT 2005

At 09:31 PM 9/3/2005, you wrote:
>kelley at inkworkswell.com wrote:
>
>>So, you advocated that they walk out beforehand. OK. So you're in NO
>>before the hurricane.
>>
>>1. When would you leave?
>>2. Which direction would you go?
>
>Also,
>3. How would you distinguish this alarm from the previous false alarms?
>4. Given that traffic north turned into an epic traffic jam, just like the
>previous times, how would you save yourself from being trapped in a car
>stopped dead on the highway during the hurricane?

shhhh. I wanted just the first two. Also, he has to be on foot. Just him,
because he's the only one smart enough to realize taht he can just leave on
foot. He won't get stuck in a traffic jam. Plus, if everyone else was just
as smart, there'd be, say, 40,000 of his fellow New Orleanians hiking the
byways and highways of Louisiana.

That would throw a monkey wrench in this, yah? Just imagine 40,000
pedestrians on the highways and byways.

But we can't, not for my wargame. I want to stick with the scenario Beberg
set up, which was his solution to poverty and carlessness: only a few
people are actually smart enough to walk out if they don't have a car and
money to leave. This wargame will start out simple. Just Beberg, by himself.

So, it's you and you're walking. OK, I'll let you be smart enough to have a
Strata (tm) Go-Bag (but please include Duct tape [1], a camper stove, and
Bleach also -- because you are smart.)

Which way would you go?
When would you leave?

:)

Kelley

[1] as an experienced hurricane survivor, like Geege, I've learned you can
never, ever have too much Duct Tape. It's just not possible. :)

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

                        -- rwmartin