[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Adam L Beberg beberg
Sun Sep 4 01:18:59 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote on 9/3/2005 7:06 PM:
> At 09:31 PM 9/3/2005, you wrote:
>
>> kelley at inkworkswell.com wrote:
>>
>>> So, you advocated that they walk out beforehand. OK. So you're in NO
>>> before the hurricane.
>>>
>>> 1. When would you leave?
>>> 2. Which direction would you go?
>>
>> Also,
>> 3. How would you distinguish this alarm from the previous false alarms?
>> 4. Given that traffic north turned into an epic traffic jam, just like
>> the previous times, how would you save yourself from being trapped in
>> a car stopped dead on the highway during the hurricane?
>
> shhhh. I wanted just the first two. Also, he has to be on foot. Just
> him, because he's the only one smart enough to realize taht he can just
> leave on foot. He won't get stuck in a traffic jam. Plus, if everyone
> else was just as smart, there'd be, say, 40,000 of his fellow New
> Orleanians hiking the byways and highways of Louisiana.
>
> That would throw a monkey wrench in this, yah? Just imagine 40,000
> pedestrians on the highways and byways.
>
> But we can't, not for my wargame. I want to stick with the scenario
> Beberg set up, which was his solution to poverty and carlessness: only a
> few people are actually smart enough to walk out if they don't have a
> car and money to leave. This wargame will start out simple. Just Beberg,
> by himself.
>

> So, it's you and you're walking. OK, I'll let you be smart enough to
> have a Strata (tm) Go-Bag (but please include Duct tape [1], a camper
> stove, and Bleach also -- because you are smart.)
>
> Which way would you go?
> When would you leave?

1. OK, so in your war game, I cannot get out ahead of time, since I'm
careless/poor. I'll even throw in a free bike-less, so I'm not in Baton
Rouge (60 miles) when it hits. Radioless = infoless too? (now we're just
getting crazy). So I'm there afterwards... No power, no phones, no water
pressure = when winds settle down to 25MPH or so, grab all my
documentation, some bottled water, and enough pasta/fat substances to
live a few days, jacket, etc... ~20 lbs (since I'm poor and don't own
anything, nothing much to worry about). We're still many hours before
the levee breaches and flooding.

2. I have high ground west and south. Land routes out of the city to the
west. Either one is an easy 2 hour walk away. All pre-flood. Since I'm
poor in America, I have some badass shoes (don't ask me why, but poor
people always have new shoes), and so the walking is easy.

3. 100's of years of people saying the city would flood and sink like
Atlantis? Maybe?

4. Now we're back to a car situation. I WOULD NEVER LIVE IN NEW ORLEANS,
not being all that fond of drowning.

I do live near ground zero for a big quake. Work in a building only a
few years old, live in one 2 years old. Can be out of the home one in
about 5 seconds (1st floor near door, alt route window) 10 seconds with
the small Shuttle PC and iBook. (PC cables are _always_ kept unscrewed,
and it is thus "yankable", laptop is already in a bag). It's all backed
up anyway, the point being everything important can be outta here in a
hurry if needed. The work building is a little more dangerous, 3rd
floor, and I'm away from the important stuff.

High ground for the super-tsunami is 15 min by bike, as the truck would
be a bad idea due to traffic.

I can bug out everything important and then some in about 5 min, and bug
out _everything_ I own (it all fits in my truck) in less than 2 hours
(including about 2 weeks of food) if I wasn't worried about cleaning.
I've moved alot.

Were you thinking living near a major fault I hadnt thought of all this
already? Heck, even in Minnesota we had to deal with blizzards and such,
we're a hearty bunch.

> [1] as an experienced hurricane survivor, like Geege, I've learned you
> can never, ever have too much Duct Tape. It's just not possible. :)

You needed a hurricane to tell you that? ;)

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/