[FoRK] New Orleans is Sinking

Eugen Leitl eugen
Sun Sep 4 04:33:23 PDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 08:24:27PM -0400, kelley at inkworkswell.com wrote:

> LOL! Chill. For some reason I wasn't getting your posts, just responses to
> them. So, I was legitimately trying to understand where you're coming from.
> (JOe! Don't throw rotten tomatoes at me!)
>
> So, you advocated that they walk out beforehand. OK. So you're in NO before
> the hurricane.

This thread no longer applies to NO, because none of it is relevant.
But:

> 1. When would you leave?

Very soon after I realized I lived in a city below sea level,
and one of top three US catastrophe scenarios. I.e., the hurricane
would have very little to do with it, other than being a final,
powerful reminder to GTFO.

FWIW, I stopped living in quake country (basically on top of St. Andrews' fault)
and in a highly polluted sink of people and industry, leaving for a
quiet and boring place. Predictable. With a high QoL.

If you need to find out whether your place is equally predictably
boring, there are tools like http://gis.esri.com/library/userconf/proc01/professional/papers/pap928/p928.htm
and similiar. There are people at SwissRe and elsewhere which
make it their job to compile the data, and keep them current.

> 2. Which direction would you go?

You need to go somewhere in your town, or a place nearby.
How is this different, other than you can't use your car or
mass transit (assuming, you have those) today?

Even a rodent swimming in an opaque solution can remember
the position of a submerged platform. We're most assuredly
not rodents.