[FoRK] How much power do you use?

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Sun Sep 4 10:22:24 PDT 2005

Yes, I work here most of the time, the kids have many friends over all
the time, and the house is a reasonable size.  Plus the roommate has a
high-end PC that is very heat producing, along with another
entertainment setup, and Ham equipment.  I have a lot going on here, but
it's the air conditioning controlled by two teenagers when I wasn't here
to supervise for 2 weeks that has done it recently.

I keep a lot of the other computers, including an old Dell
dual-processor server, turned off most of the time because they just
burn through power.  I'm going more and more virtual so I only power up
the grid when I'm testing software.

Back in Cleveland in 1984/1985, I lived in two apartments, one on each
side of the city and with two different electric power companies.  The
second one, my electric bills would be $5 for the month.  I did have a
computer and a 1200 baud modem borrowed from work (Racal Vadic, pre-AT
command set, remember ^E?).  I didn't leave the computer running however
since I was 10 years away from running Internet servers from home.

Air conditioning is my biggest power sink in the summer, but closely
followed by laundry and electronics.  In the DC area, it is both hot and
very humid in the summer, although it hasn't really been that bad this
summer.

sdw