[FoRK] EBay to buy Skype

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Mon Sep 12 15:07:16 PDT 2005

I agree, as long as you don't completely equate "open" == "blessed
standard".  I'm quite happy to use a protocol that is better,
practically speaking, than some PTT-centric design by committee.  SMTP
vs. X.400 for instance.  The non-standard (i.e. emerging defacto
standard) that Asterisk uses is another good example.

What Skype uses is great; if it was available for anyone to use we'd be
all set.  SIP to many has seemed to complicated and it suffers, like a
lot of the multimedia over IP standards, from the core group of purists
who have insisted on architecture that is not firewall or NAT friendly.

sdw