[FoRK] Katrina and rape victims

snitsnat snitilicious
Mon Sep 19 05:57:55 PDT 2005

This came across another list. These were the two stories the Coalition
Against Domestic Violence (LCADV) used in their press release:

Please find the attached updated press release from the Louisiana Coalition
Against Domestic Violence, Louisiana Domestic Violence Hurricane Relief Fund.

Press Release FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 13, 2005
BEATEN, SEXUALLY ASSAULTED, AND LIVING IN A HURRICANE EVACUATION SHELTER OR
A MAKESHIFT TENT CITY . . . KATRINA VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC AND SEXUAL VIOLENCE
STILL NEED YOUR HELP.

Fleeing for my life and my children's safety two times in the same week is
something I couldn't even imagine until it happened to us last week. When
we went to the Red Cross Shelter, they were really nice to us, but I
couldn't get away from him . . . my husband. He watched me, followed me,
and would pinch me very hard on my legs and upper arms when no one was
looking. He blamed me for us being in the shelter and punched me in the
stomach when I asked him what he meant. I was humiliated.

He (my boyfriend) forced me to have sex with him and this other man in the
shelter. I was scared to tell anyone. What would happen to me and my
children if I told?

<...>

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

                        -- rwmartin