[FoRK] Re: Software architecture in the real world

Strata R. Chalup strata
Mon Sep 19 15:19:43 PDT 2005

Hi Corinna,

The IT/builder/implementor people, at least at the architect and project manager
level, should be involved from the ground up.

Unfortunately, on most large projects I've been called in to consult for, often
the implementors don't get called in until most of the custom engineering of
whatever folks are trying to build is done.  Then they get grouchy when we tell
them things like "your custom java mail queueing app needs to catch safe
shutdown signals" or "you seem to have built in a reliance on XYZ, are you aware
that implementing XYZ costs $ABC".

Documentation?  Yes, a challenge both to create and to maintain.

I am just starting a contract where they are paying my firm Senior Admin rates
to essentially be a documentation clearinghouse for a complex multi-vendor
project.  Since the docs have to pass an internal review board at another part
of the client, one of the vendors hired Virtual.Net to take charge of making
sure that
	a) all the technical details for
	b) all of the moving parts
	c) make it into the document
	d) in an organized fashion
	e) sane and repeatably implementable
	f) and that a process exists to capture changes and updates along the way

Essentially doing the docs for a big project like this is as much systems
architecture as technical documentation, especially if there is a requirement
for reproducibility of the installation.

SRC