[FoRK] Surviving Katrina

kelley at inkworkswell.com kelley
Tue Sep 20 10:31:16 PDT 2005

These are some riveting stories from survivors of Hurricane Katrina. Steve
Perry edited the story online at Minneapolis/St. Paul's The City Pages:

http://citypages.com/databank/26/1294/article13694.asp

Adele Bertucci, 53, hospitality worker, native of Cuba and 35-year resident
of New Orleans

The worst experience for me was being alone for maybe four days in the
airport. That's something I'll never forget. There were bodies. There were
people bleeding. There were people lying in their own waste. One after
another. If you take Gone with the Wind and the Nazi War and the Vietnam
war, and visualize that in one place, that's how I would describe the
airport. When you watch it on TV, it's like watching a Walt Disney versus
an R-rated movie. You only see what they want you to see. You can't smell
it. More...

J. Michael Brown, 52, resident of Chalmette in St. Bernard Parish,
president of an electronic funds transfer company

Within 15 minutes you had six feet of water in your home, which is about a
6,000 square foot place. In about 30 minutes I had 12 feet. Across the
street there was probably 15 feet of water. I watched my BMW go down the
street, my daughter's BMW go away down the street. The water was ferocious.
You could see natural gas bubbling up out of the water everywhere you
looked. As far as you could see, there was nothing but black water. More...

Dumas Carter, 30, eight-year veteran NOPD officer, one of six local cops
who stayed on duty at the Convention Center complex in the days after Katrina
Lots of people on the street were asking me where to go. I'm telling them
the truth, which is I don't know, they haven't told us anything. They're
telling us that somebody told them that they were told by another person
who was somebody in charge of something that the Convention Center was
being set up as a secondary evacuation point with food and water. Those
people went to the Convention Center, and there was no food or water there
for them. So now there's no water, there's no police--everybody's left the
city except for the six of us. And now there's 20,000 people with no extra
security down there. More...

When you need to communicate, Ink Works!
http://www.inkworkswell.com
+1 (727) 942-9255