[FoRK] Re: complaint - please ignore :)

Andy Armstrong andy
Wed Sep 21 02:59:25 PDT 2005

On 20 Sep 2005, at 18:02, Owen Byrne wrote
> Thus I felt like it was a direct accusation :-) FWIW I assumed that
> the word "denormalization" implies that there was a normalized
> database to begin with. I do believe that there are people out
> there with databases who have never heard the name Codd. Databases
> - "you mean like Excel?"

Have you seen some of the atrocities committed by the LAMP folk
(Linux/Apache/MySQL/{PHP,Python,Perl})? It's as if they just use
MySQL for what it is rather than pretending it's a database :)

The hacker in me loves it - the database guy in me hates it. The
worst thing is that the database bit of my psyche stops me from
availing myself of the same tricks - they're just too ugly.

While we're on the subject this is quite interesting:
   http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail571.html

Adam Bosworth telling MySQL developers that the should stop fixating
on being a 'proper' database and look at the emerging playing field
for semantic data. I paraphrase of course.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net