[FoRK] coining

Elias Sinderson elias
Thu Sep 22 10:23:58 PDT 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:42:28AM -0700, Ryan King wrote:
>

>>You know, some people actually enjoy their jobs. And some of those jobs require a lot of work.
>>

>Does this mean their S.O.'s are less important than their jobs? That their job takes precedence over the kids?

Or, for that matter, their health?

Ryans' comment hints that there may be another relevant issue regarding
the difference between 'job' and 'work' -- Is 'job' orthogonal to (the
amount of) 'work'? They may be somewhat correlated, however 'correlation
does not imply causation'. Given that someone actually likes their job,
perhaps is it conceivable that they don't enjoy the amount of work it
entails? Perhaps one could find an instance of the same, or similar
enough, job, which requires less work? It seems that the notion of 'job'
is really an amalgamation of several things, including job function (or,
generally, title), sector, corporate culture, etc.

Anecdotally, I can relate my own experience of enjoying a job immensely,
only to eventually have the amount of work required take its' toll to
the point where it was no longer enjoyable, I am completely burnt out,
and my (mental and physical) health and relationships with loved ones
suffered as a result. A friend of mine recently decided to leave their
job of many years for a very similar position in a different company
with better salary and benefits, nicer culture, seemingly less work,
etc. The transition isn't complete, but they are already happier and
very excited about the change. My mother, a physician, loves her job
immensely, but left the large and intense group she was with for a much
smaller group... She had on the order of 500 or so patients in her old
group and now manages a small fraction of that, has more vacation time,
better benefits, nicer colleagues, but less payola, and she's never been
happier.

The above would seem to indicate that 'job' and 'work' are seperable, at
least to some degree. Can anyone else relate similar experiences?

Regards,
Elias