[FoRK] coining

Luis Villa luis.villa
Thu Sep 22 10:44:41 PDT 2005

On 9/22/05, Elias Sinderson <elias at cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:42:28AM -0700, Ryan King wrote:
> >

> >>You know, some people actually enjoy their jobs. And some of those jobs require a lot of work.
> >>

> >Does this mean their S.O.'s are less important than their jobs? That their job takes precedence over the kids?
> >
> Or, for that matter, their health?
>
> Ryans' comment hints that there may be another relevant issue regarding
> the difference between 'job' and 'work' -- Is 'job' orthogonal to (the
> amount of) 'work'? They may be somewhat correlated, however 'correlation
> does not imply causation'. Given that someone actually likes their job,
> perhaps is it conceivable that they don't enjoy the amount of work it
> entails? Perhaps one could find an instance of the same, or similar
> enough, job, which requires less work? It seems that the notion of 'job'
> is really an amalgamation of several things, including job function (or,
> generally, title), sector, corporate culture, etc.
>
> Anecdotally, I can relate my own experience of enjoying a job immensely,
> only to eventually have the amount of work required take its' toll to
> the point where it was no longer enjoyable, I am completely burnt out,
> and my (mental and physical) health and relationships with loved ones
> suffered as a result. A friend of mine recently decided to leave their
> job of many years for a very similar position in a different company
> with better salary and benefits, nicer culture, seemingly less work,
> etc. The transition isn't complete, but they are already happier and
> very excited about the change. My mother, a physician, loves her job
> immensely, but left the large and intense group she was with for a much
> smaller group... She had on the order of 500 or so patients in her old
> group and now manages a small fraction of that, has more vacation time,
> better benefits, nicer colleagues, but less payola, and she's never been
> happier.
>
> The above would seem to indicate that 'job' and 'work' are seperable, at
> least to some degree. Can anyone else relate similar experiences?

I'm not sure your terms are the most clear, so I'm not quite sure
we're on the same page, but there is definitely something to what
you're saying.

I was pretty burnt out at Ximian, despite mostly loving the work- no
one can sanely do more than a handful of 450-hour months. When I quit
I started doing shitloads of work... for GNOME. All volunteer, no
compensation, and at least initially, more hours than I was doing
towards the end at Ximian, which blew my SO's mind.

I just took a position at the Berkman Center, which is pretty
hard-core academic. One of my co-workers blogged yesterday about how
hard it was when he had a long week and had to put in *45* hours. I
still don't know quite what to make of that- it is an eminently sane,
very healthy perspective, but it is difficult for me to reconcile only
doing 35 hour weeks (hell, only doing 60 hour weeks) with being
passionate and interested in what I do.

Luis