[FoRK] Jobs vs. work (was: coining)

Elias Sinderson elias
Thu Sep 22 11:03:31 PDT 2005

Luis Villa wrote:

>On 9/22/05, Elias Sinderson <elias at cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
>

>>[...] Is 'job' orthogonal to (the amount of) 'work'?
>>
>I'm not sure your terms are the most clear [...]
Agreed -- the two are often used interchangeably. Dictionary definitions:

Job, n, a regular activity performed in exchange for payment, especially
as one's trade, occupation, or profession.
Work, n, physical or mental effort or activity directed toward the
production or accomplishment of something.

Related, but not exactly the same. Also note that the second definition
of 'work' is "a job; employment"... It is clear that a job entails work,
but the amount of work is unspecified. It also seems clear that
identical positions (job title and duties) with different employers are
two different jobs...

>but there is definitely something to what you're saying. [...]
I think we're on the same page, even if the terms are somewhat
muddled...  :-)

Finding a job that one likes enough to work hard at it is an enviable
position. However, one should obviously question the business sense (and
managerial acumen!) in running your employees into the ground,
regardless of how much they might enjoy what they're doing. Burn out is
not pretty and, in the long run, is probably more damaging to the
company than the benefit gained from meeting milestones.

Regards,
Elias