[FoRK] coining

Ryan King ryan
Thu Sep 22 11:57:23 PDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 10:23 AM, Elias Sinderson wrote:
> Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:42:28AM -0700, Ryan King wrote:
>>
>>> You know, some people actually enjoy their jobs. And some of
>>> those jobs require a lot of work.
>> Does this mean their S.O.'s are less important than their jobs?
>> That their job takes precedence over the kids?
>>
> Or, for that matter, their health?

That comment actually hits home for me, because I've been sick
lately. And I have a feeling that the sickness has been caused
(either ultimately or proximately) by the stress of working too much
(which includes working at a startup and working on a Masters' Degree).

> Ryans' comment hints that there may be another relevant issue
> regarding the difference between 'job' and 'work' -- Is 'job'
> orthogonal to (the amount of) 'work'? They may be somewhat
> correlated, however 'correlation does not imply causation'. Given
> that someone actually likes their job, perhaps is it conceivable
> that they don't enjoy the amount of work it entails? Perhaps one
> could find an instance of the same, or similar enough, job, which
> requires less work? It seems that the notion of 'job' is really an
> amalgamation of several things, including job function (or,
> generally, title), sector, corporate culture, etc.

I think its all a matter of tradeoffs. I'm sure there are some people
who enjoy their jobs, but also have other pursuits they really enjoy
as well. For me, however, those 'other pursuits' look a lot like my job.

> Anecdotally, I can relate my own experience of enjoying a job
> immensely, only to eventually have the amount of work required take
> its' toll to the point where it was no longer enjoyable, I am
> completely burnt out, and my (mental and physical) health and
> relationships with loved ones suffered as a result. A friend of
> mine recently decided to leave their job of many years for a very
> similar position in a different company with better salary and
> benefits, nicer culture, seemingly less work, etc. The transition
> isn't complete, but they are already happier and very excited about
> the change. My mother, a physician, loves her job immensely, but
> left the large and intense group she was with for a much smaller
> group... She had on the order of 500 or so patients in her old
> group and now manages a small fraction of that, has more vacation
> time, better benefits, nicer colleagues, but less payola, and she's
> never been happier.
>
> The above would seem to indicate that 'job' and 'work' are
> seperable, at least to some degree. Can anyone else relate similar
> experiences?

Whereas I really enjoy what I work on now, I'm well aware that
burnout is possible. But, I'm ok with burnout? when/if that comes,
I'll deal with it.

My job isn't work- I would be working on the same stuff whether or
not I was being paid for it.

-ryan