[FoRK] Re: Bad Auto-Aways

Wilkin, Kurt Kurt.Wilkin
Fri Sep 23 08:22:40 PDT 2005

fork-bounces at xent.com wrote:
> I can't understand why people don't use an email account that is
> separate from your work -- one on which you would not (could not) set
> an auto-away message. Like a free gmail, yahoo, or hotmail account.

Hmm, I've always thought this was bad form for a mailing list
in that you then have anonymous access to a personal, if not
private, forum. Whereas, its not advertised but if you really
needed to you could probably find your way to a phone reasonably
close to me because I use this address. Definitely a mail / net
admin.

(Actually, ISTR that came from newsgroups,
where it was probably an AOL/Hotmail defensive measure?)

Has it changed enough that free accounts are no longer
automatically considered one step away from trolling?

(and, yup, weighed the free account as less acceptable than
my (work) 12 page .sig, McQuary be damned).

Anyways, sorry, back to the fanfic:

"If you need immediate assistance, please call Renie Levin" she
purred to Willow...

kuRt t3h n3tK0p!!!111!!

W hat atheism: a non-prophet organization...
W ould
J enna
D rink?
-------------------------------
Creation Science: an oxymoron actually created by morons...
-------------------------------
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when
you
do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.
-------------------------------
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never
stop
thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither
do
we," George W. "Shrub" Bush Aug 5, 2004
-------------------------------
The only product that Micro$oft could produce that *wouldn't* suck would
be
a vacuum cleaner..

                   ____==========_______
        _--____   |    | ""  " "|       \
       /  )8}  ^^^| 0  |  =     |  o  0  |
     </_ +-==B vvv|""  |  =     | '  "" "|
        \_____/   |____|________|________|
                 (_(  )\________/___(  )__)
                   |\  \            /  /\
                   | \  \          /  /\ \
                   | |\  \        /  /  \ \
                   (  )(  )       (  \   (  )
                    \  / /        \  \   \  \
                     \|  |\        \  \  |  |
                      |  | )____    \  \ \  )___
                      (  )  /  /    (  )  (/  /
                     /___\ /__/     /___\ /__/

>**If the enemy is in range--- so are you.

          =,    (\_/)    ,=
           /`-'--(")--'-'\
          /     (___)     \
         /.-.-./ " " \.-.-.\

Q: How many Microsoft engineers does Bill need to change a light bulb?
A: None. He just declares darkness to be an industry standard.

(all swiped)

--
This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential and
intended for the named recipient's use only.  If you are not the intended
recipient (i) do not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way, (ii)
please let us know by return email immediately then destroy the message, and
any hard copies of the message, and any attachments.  The sender of this
message is not responsible for any changes made to this message and/or any
attachments and/or connection linkages to the Internet referred to in this
message after it has been sent.  Unless otherwise stated, any pricing
information given in this message and/or attachments is indicative only, is
subject to change and does not constitute an offer to buy or sell securities
or derivatives at any price quoted.  Any reference to the terms of executed
transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject to separate
formal written notification.  Where reference is made to research material
and/or research recommendations, the basis of the provision of such research
material and/or recommendations is set out in the relevant disclaimer.