[FoRK] social alienation...

Corinna schultz
Fri Sep 23 11:07:05 PDT 2005

oohhh, a heavy topic....

Just curious, what kind (and how many) of people do you hang out with?
Do you feel out of place when you're with, ahhh, shall we say, less
intelligent people?  (Not stupid or dumb, just normal people with normal
IQs)

What do you talk about, or what do you do, when you hang out?
What do you talk about with casual strangers (like in the checkout line) --
or maybe you *don't* talk with casual strangers...?

In jobs I've had when I've had to deal with the general public, I feel very
strongly how "different" (in an undefined, subtle kind of way) I am. Even
among "bright" people I feel this, though it's less.

Now, this is not to say that I *can't* deal with the general public... I
think I'm reasonably well-socialized :-)  It's just that I don't prefer it.

-Corinna
(I'm not expressing this well, because it's not generally kosher to talk
about such things, so I don't ever really verbalize these kind of feelings.
I'm hoping you will recognize what I'm referring to, though.)