[FoRK] social alienation...

Daniel Grisinger daniel
Fri Sep 23 11:41:39 PDT 2005

oddly, i find that i don't particularly enjoy hanging out with technical
types outside of my normal work day.  a few of my friends are coders,
dbas, sysadmins, electrical engineers, etc., but most are truck drivers,
mechanics, or technical types at music venues (sound guys, roadies, etc.).

i like this because it seems far too easy to me for highly-educated,
highly-skilled people to lose sight of what life is like for the
majority of the population.  most of us aren't as lucky as luis and
others around FoRK to love their work enough to focus on it for more
than 8 hours per day, and i like the reminder that most people only view
work as a means to finance the things that really matter to them.