[FoRK] Re: social alienation...

mattj at newsblip.com mattj
Fri Sep 23 12:07:33 PDT 2005

Quoting Corinna <schultz at harlingen.isd.tenet.edu>:

> As far as I've been able to find, there's no existing groups of
> people who have interests similar to mine.

You've probably thought of most things we might suggest, but...

1. Create a new group.  Maybe something dealing with a local issue
(e.g., "Stop
the Smelter").  Maybe a book club at your library.  There may be enough people
nearby who would join your group.

2. Homeschoolers: you probably know about TAGFAM and GT-Family, lsits for
parents of gifted/talented kids. TAGMAX, in particular (vs. TAGFAM), is for
such parents who are homeschooling rather than going to public schools.  Send
out a query asking if anyone is in (or knows anyone in) your area, or South
Texas generally.  THe further away people are, the less often you can
meet, but
you can still meet.

3. Create an event?  This is more work, but could pay off.  Volunteer at your
local library, school, civic club, etc., and then use them for your
venue/sponsor.  Look for an outside (i.e., out of state) speaker or
author, and
bring him/her in for a speaking engagement.  Anyone who shows up to
listen is at
least someone who can drag themselves away from the TV.

(Ooh, even better: get *two* speakers, for a debate.)

-Matt Jensen
http://mattjensen.com
Seattle