[FoRK] social alienation...

Marty Halvorson martyh
Fri Sep 23 13:03:17 PDT 2005

Corinna wrote:
"Just curious, what kind (and how many) of people do you hang out with?
Do you feel out of place when you're with, ahhh, shall we say, less
intelligent people?  (Not stupid or dumb, just normal people with normal
IQs)

"What do you talk about, or what do you do, when you hang out?
What do you talk about with casual strangers (like in the checkout line)
-- or maybe you *don't* talk with casual strangers...?"

Very interesting questions.  Me, I don't hang out with anyone I work
with.  I find I'm attracted to people with different viewpoints than
mine that have sufficient intelligence to cogently express those
viewpoints.  What we discuss depends on what's going on in our lives,
usually that day.  For example, one of my friends is a retired professor
of audiology, and when my son needed ear surgery we had a long
discussion about what was going to happen.  Other days we've talked
about the rotational point of a rocking chair, and does it act like a
pendulum.

One of my children is mentally deficient, and I can hang out with him
quite well.  It's only a problem when he can't understand what I say,
and I can't find words simple enough to express the thought I'm trying
to convey.  I do however have difficulty relating to the less
intelligent only when there is resistance to ideas that are contrary to
their beliefs, and they are unable to explain why the belief exists.

I tell strangers that they're very attractive when they are; and, it's
not a pick-up line.  I'm very happily married (26 years) thank you, and
have no interest in casual or otherwise affairs.
--
Peace,
Marty Halvorson
martyh at nmcourts.com