[FoRK] social alienation...

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Fri Sep 23 19:45:32 PDT 2005

I grew up with quite enough of the real world, however I always stay
observant of people, subcultures, subsubcultures, professions,
personalities, etc.  I always go off the beaten path when traveling,
always wanting to find out what it's like for natives of the area.

I tend to be able to talk to anyone, get into their head and situation a
little, and can converse with them as long as I want.  I do however,
grow bored quickly.

With someone very intelligent / knowledgable / curious, I can never stop
talking and simply have to abandon the conversation when it has spilled
over all bounds.  With those that are less mentally enthusiastic about
life (low MEAL index ;-) ), I fall silent as I cross off more and more
avenues to explore.

I think MEAL is a good concept, it's really a combination of raw
intelligence + drive + creativity + historical effort (and a little
luck) that puts people in the gifted and interesting category.

sdw