[FoRK] social alienation...

Strata R. Chalup strata
Sat Sep 24 15:03:29 PDT 2005

Being social can be fun, but it's also work.  The general public don't really
present a problem.   I talk with them about universals: pets, gardening, etc.  I
have something to learn from everyone.

It's the other really smart people who I have trouble with most of the time.  I
don't find it entertaining or inherently worthwhile to engage in the kind of
intellectual dick-fluffing and dung-throwing that passes for socialization among
the self-proclaimed higher life-forms.

At least, 99% of the time.  I do seem to be writing this message, and it's not
in a kinder gentler mode.

Takes more than just smart people to solve the social alienation issue.  Takes
smart people who aren't type-A competitive, and who enjoy 'just hanging out'.
Those are pretty hard to find.

When I do find them, and relax enough to 'just be myself', I often get accused
of trying to steamroller or show off.  Yet if I don't engage in the constant
argument-for-the-sake-of-argument interactions, in RL or online, I am assumed to
be stupid, ignorant, or both.  So the people who bluster the loudest about
things they don't know jack about take control of the social space and yammer
away, taking silence for assent.  Every now and then, the topic will be
something about which I give a sufficient damn to take the time to engage.
Sometimes we both learn something.  More often, they do.

I mostly don't hang out with people.  Works for me.

My, aren't we cheerful today.

SRC