[FoRK] social alienation...

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Sat Sep 24 18:56:24 PDT 2005

I believe that I, like most people, have a number of personalities
and friends which tap into and influence each facet of my self.  So,
I have my geeky-techno-entrepreneur friends, I have my hockey
buddies, I have my drinking buddies, I have my sporty buddies, etc.

I move in different circles and typically they never rub into one
another.  I love Rohit, for example but would never intro him to my
hockey buddies (they are plumbers, firemen, etc. and his schtick
would never play to them) in a million years.  Yet those buddies have
something equally valuable to offer.  My friends (some of them)
observe this behaviour on my part and often point it out -- I'm not
sure their concerns in this regard are particularly warranted and no
one should really feel left out.

People can truly become very close friends of mine by crossing over
into two or more of those circles successfully, in my opinion, and
once that's sealed up I tend to be fiercely loyal.  Friends who only
hit one facet or the other typically come and go without much fanfare.

-Ian.