[FoRK] Blackberry Cobble-Up

Strata R. Chalup strata
Mon Oct 10 12:58:24 PDT 2005

This is probably another reason why 'open source' has gotten so fashionable
lately (and sure, I'm a fan of it, but there's been some real groupie-ism
springing up).

Unfortunately if Blackberry's service were based on open source, it would still
be vulnerable to this kind of crap, as the hosted service, not the software,
seems to be at issue.

Two things stand out pretty instantly on this one:

1) "...NTP, whose only assets are wireless e-mail related patents..."

2) "...granted an injunction ... forcing Research
in Motion to stop providing e-mail services to all American customers
*except government account holders*.

Eg, we're willing to support predatory pseudo-patenting, as long as the US Gov
is exempt.  Nice.

Wait until all the FEMA relief efforts and private contractors involved can't
use *their* Blackberry devices.  Then it's gonna hit the fan bigtime.

If I ever start a service-based business, remind me, please, to do the following:

a) Set it up so the servers are outside the US
b) Make the subscription fee based on a club membership, rather than a service
provided
c) Extend a known protocol to carry services, eg don't use SMTP, use MSTP, "My
Stuff Transfer Protocol", a REST-based extension that bypasses SMTP to send to
the devices or to the remote mail addresses.
d) Set up at least one level of abstraction between anything that looks like a
service (eg, wireless email) and how it's billed (twingle-units, which are
automatically calculated from a random sampling of your offshore inbox/outbox
stream)
e) Don't start the business in the first place

SRC

******
(via IP)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/08/technology/08rimm.html?
ex=1286424000&en=36a03410727d06ab&ei=5090

Court Ruling in BlackBerry Case Puts Service to U.S. Users at Risk

By IAN AUSTEN
October 8, 2005

OTTAWA, Oct. 7 - A court decision Friday renewed the possibility that
service to BlackBerry wireless e-mail devices might be cut off for
most users in the United States.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in
Washington rejected a request by Research in Motion, the Canadian
company that makes the BlackBerry, to rehear its appeal of a patent
infringement case brought by NTP Inc., the patent holder. A
three-judge panel of the court ruled in August that Research in
Motion had violated seven of NTP's patents.

As part of that litigation, NTP, whose only assets are wireless
e-mail related patents, had been granted an injunction banning the
sale of BlackBerry devices in the United States and forcing Research
in Motion to stop providing e-mail services to all American customers
except government account holders.

While the court declined Research in Motion's request for a complete
rehearing by all 12 of its judges, it did order the panel of three
judges to review some aspects of NTP's patent claims.

Kevin Anderson, a lawyer for NTP, said the company would now ask the
court to apply the injunction to the patent claims that are no longer
under review. Those patents, he added, are broad enough to prevent
Research in Motion from continuing service in the United States,
which accounts for about 70 percent of its revenue.

You are subscribed as strata at virtual.net
To manage your subscription, go to