[FoRK] Open Link: Objects+piping (and better)+real loose coupling

Andy Armstrong andy
Mon Oct 10 16:12:12 PDT 2005

On 2 Oct 2005, at 14:33, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
[snip]
> Publish / subscribe, plugins, bidirectional message protocols,
> message routers, deep filtering, etc.  Imagine a concise shell
> syntax that allows me to filter and route messages based on content
> to a variety of services.

I have a concrete application for this now :)

I'm playing with various Apache log analysis strategies at the moment
and I quite often want to apply multiple filters to the logs - so I
end up with a log files piped through a bunch of Perl processes. It
would be much nicer if I could just write filters that subscribed to
the log streams - then I could start them and stop them without
having to mess around with Apache config files. I imagine it could be
efficient too.

I'm just now looking at d-bus[1] and considering implementing
mod_log_dbus. Thus far I haven't even verified that d-bus is
appropriate for this kind of application.

Do you have any interesting code I might want to use instead of d-
bus? :)

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/dbus

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net