[FoRK] Re: Confessions of an Engineering Washout

Ian Andrew Bell FoRK fork
Tue Oct 11 11:14:45 PDT 2005

I was a kid who, after my parents refused to let my school advance me
two grades, slalomed all through high school doing exactly the
minimum required to get my A grades -- which wasn't much.  In the
after hours I pursued computing and software development (and more
nefarious interests) in my parents' basement, exploring and learning
at exactly my own pace -- learning how to do something only because I
needed to accomplish an objective.  Somehow at the end of it all I
had learned how to write software.

When I got to Simon Fraser University a lot of my friends were geeks
and I took some computing courses but found them to be strangely
abstract.  In the early courses they also contained no "fourth
estate" -- no detailed analysis of the impacts and influences of the
work, no exploration of the technology, and no sense of play.  In
essence, SFU's Computing Science school was a coder factory; which
appeared to crank out an annual graduate list of factory workers.

I continued to take lower-level computing courses to boost my GPA as
I pursued far more challenging and esoteric fields like Political
Science, English Literature, History, and Communications.  The latter
in particular had everything that computing science lacked -- and
indulged my desire to be hands on and to demonstrate theories and
ideas.  The Liberal Arts surely required less physical, hands-on
work.  And from an educational standpoint you could surely have had
it easy and skated through like I did high school.  But if you
challenged yourself, pursued high concepts, argued difficult
concepts, and pursued primary research you could come out of the
place actually having learned something that goes far beyond who won
the Battle of Hastings (William the Conqueror) by exploring WHY he
won (the theory of Combined Arms).  Liberal Arts gets a bad rap
because it is possible to scrape through without having done much,
but that's not the preferred option for many of us.

My fear was (and this has been confirmed through the experiences of
others) that I would hit burnout at a very early stage in my career
because my education milked all of the real stimulation out of the
exercise of creation (that is, software development).  At one point,
by continuing to explore at my own pace, I was a credible software
guy with a broad body of knowledge who could conjure and create stuff
without assistance.  My current regret is that that is no longer the
case, yet I'm still a pretty good contributor at my current level and
the lessons I learned on my own will always be generally applicable
to software and technologies that I work with (though the practical
skills aren't).

Ideally in my case, Computing Science would have humanized their
learning process and the core material.  Treating software
development training like a linguistics course hierarchy was probably
the major failing of that department, and as a result they turned
away people like me in favour of cranking out a generation of
faceless hordes of thoughtless, non-reflective Powerpoint-to-C++
conversion engines.

Since many of us graduate from software development to product
management, the executive level, or entrepreneurship anyway,
abstracting ourselves from the process of actually coding, baking
that understanding and reflection into us at an early stage seems to
make sense.  There will always be off-shoring and warehouses filled
with an infinite number of monkeys and an infinite number of
typewriters (see Nietzsche) cranking out code.  If a society is to
create a competitive advantage over those then they need to crank out
coders who can think constructively, create, catalyze and
instantiate.  Da Vinci was neither a particularly good engineer, nor
was he a great artist -- it was the combination of those two skills
that set him apart and, when combined with an explorative mind and a
broad understanding of earth sciences, made him a brilliant
conceptual inventor.

These days, there will be a thousand code monkeys to a single Da
Vinci.  But even at a ratio of 1:10000 it is a far better investment
of a society's collective wealth to produce the latter over the
former (read "Running Money" to understand why) given the rest of the
world's propensity to chase down the low-hanging fruit.
Unfortunately, the ITU and IETF seem to be vastly populated by
monkeys and a very short list of Da Vincis (many of whom are on this
list) -- a likely explanation for why many of the standards emerging
from those bodies are so riddled with opportunity for misuse and
crippled by inadequacies.  Nobody asked WHY or HOW, because they
didn't have the tools to do so.  By then it's much too late to start
learning those skills for the first time.

-Ian.