[FoRK] Why AJAX?

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn
Tue Oct 11 11:54:23 PDT 2005

On Oct 11, 2005, at 12:41 AM, Reza B'Far wrote:

> True, but I think XMLHttpRequest just makes it cleaner... I
> actually like to
> use XMLHttpRequest and IFrames, interchangeably or together,
> depending on
> the usage... point being is that applications like data entry suck
> without
> using one/theother/both on the web (well, unless you want an ActiveX,
> Applet, etc. which is a different discussion altogether).

I agree, but people make AJAX sound like a panacea, while (at least
IMHO) it's not. It still requires a great deal of knowledge about
DHTML/DOM/etc. and there are still lot's of useful UI features that
you can't create easily (like pie graphs).

FWIW. I'm more excited about the fact that people are coming to
understand closures etc. as a something applicable to distributed
programming/mobile applications. I often send real JavaScript back
and forth between server and client, rather than just XML/JSON. So
long as you know what you're doing, that can be much more powerful.