[FoRK] Linux woes

Corinna schultz
Tue Oct 11 12:04:13 PDT 2005

(Just venting, that's all)
I'm embarassed to say this, but I've had a heck of a time trying to get VTK
installed on my computer. I think I have to capitulate and get the Win
version instead... I'll still use python, though (assuming I can get
everything to play nicely).

Maybe it's just me... or maybe it's the docs. I don't know. I'd forgotten
just how much time it takes to get *anything* working under Linux.  :(  Why
couldn't they just have done the configure/make/make install thing? That
would have been soooo better.

I finally got CMake to run successfully (after having to install tcl and
tk - the docs did *not* tell me I needed those in order to use python!).
Then I ran make. It barfed on a < in the c++ source (it was a template, I
think, which have been legal for a while. Maybe I should update my gcc
anyways?).

Then I went to bed. An now I haven't had enough sleep, so my mind has been
hazy today. argh. I was supposed to have run the sample program by classtime
tonight...  And I live so far away from campus I can't really use the labs
there...

-Corinna