[FoRK] Re: Re: Confessions of an Engineering Washout

Aaron Burt aaron
Tue Oct 11 18:52:41 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:56:36PM +0100, Robert Harley wrote:
> >Too bad nobody was around to tell us that high school is
> >just a game you have to get through.
>
> My general impression of American high-school is (to exaggerate
> slightly) that it serves to keep teenagers off the street until
> they're old enough to work.

Hardly an exaggeration at all.  Vocational and trades education have
suffered greatly from budget cuts and there are no more factory jobs
for the generic factory workers the schools were originally meant to
produce.  Smart kids drop out and go to the local community college.
A few schools have even started codifying this as "early admissions"

> In Ireland and the U.K. it is intended to teach you a certain level of
> chemistry or whatever, somewhat tuned to providing what one needs to
> start a basic medium-skill job afterwards.

I hear Germany is similar.

> In France it sorts the men from the boys.  The "men" (women included!)
> are those who can handle the higher level of maths and physics,
> closely followed by bio and physics.

I've read that in France, an engineering degree is quite prestigious
and marks one for leadership.  What an odd thing, to think someone's
demonstrated skills with logic, math and design have business value.

Not bitter,
  Aaron