[FoRK] XaraXtreme goes open source

Adam L Beberg beberg
Tue Oct 11 19:39:51 PDT 2005

Andy Armstrong wrote on 10/11/2005 6:31 PM:
> I don't know if any of you have ever seen Xara; for my money it's one
> of the best vector drawing programs of all time and I'm not  influenced
> at all by the fact that I know the guys from way back -  actually back
> to the BBC Micro days - so late eighties, early nineties.
>
> Anyway, they've decided to open source the latest version, XaraXtreme
> and do Mac and Linux versions; more about that here: http://
> www.xaraxtreme.org/. Vector graphics fans should watch with keen
> interest - it really is a superb program with a user interface that's
> still - for me at least - streets ahead of Illustrator.
>
> I don't expect you to share my excitement but it's made my week :)

Yea, this is good++, I still use my copy of the original Xara quite
often. Memory footprint < 3MB. It rocks. Only drawback, is it's
pre-registry, pre-\Program Files\ so it's an extra 'Run As' click.

Lets hope they will make it free as in root beer for Windows too.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/