[FoRK] Why AJAX?

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn
Wed Oct 12 10:45:13 PDT 2005

On Oct 11, 2005, at 3:50 PM, Reza B'Far wrote:
> You're right... There was a time that I thought XForms was going to
> change
> everything... The spec certainly is very promising... but, without
> support
> in IE and Mozilla, XForms is not getting far.

No... my hopes lie somewhat with SVG right now...

> I totally agree with you on more distribution of the computing
> tasks.  I
> personally prefer to push things out to the edge when possible,
> though there
> are arguments on both sides and it ends up being project specific,
> etc....

Yes, but the idea of passing around closure/continuations leads you
to the though of "Hmmm. How much of that can be serialised into
something like XML?" and then you end up with a different perspective
on UI's and applications... one which leads to true mobile
applications that are platform agnostic.

> 1)  Most people who're called "Software Engineers" not really being
> Engineers at all.

Coders...

> 2)  Economics of it: people use buzz words to make money (many
> different
> ways, idiots keep their jobs, some folks raise money with buzz
> words, etc.).

That describes most of the '90s to me...