[FoRK] Icon of the 80s
Thu Oct 13 07:17:04 PDT 2005
Well, I spent the first 2/3 of the 80s at MIT and the remainder in
Schenectady, so I doubt my choices will correspond to anyone else's.
1. MTV when they played videos. Not any particular video, just the
novelty of watching mini-movies until my eyes bled.
2. Human Sexual Response's "Land of the Glass Pinecones" -- coolest
local group ever.
3. Mission of Burma's "That's when I reach for my revolver."
4. 25 cent bottles of Coke, with sugar, chilled to slightly below
freezing at MIT's student newspaper.
5. $1 movies at MIT's Lecture Series Committee shows, although I used
to work for them and got in free. Not quite killed off by student
affluence and cheap videos.
6. [City name] House of Pizza -- odd, Greek-influenced pizza.
7. Senior House Steer Roast and Southern Rail.
8. Mary Chung's, especially the Suan Lashao Sho -- dumplings in sour,
spicy liquid -- and Dun Dun (cold, spicy sesame sauce) Noodles
9. Apple's Macintosh.
10. Warehouse Liquors.
More information about the FoRK