[FoRK] Icon of the 80s

Ken Meltsner meltsner
Thu Oct 13 07:17:04 PDT 2005

Well, I spent the first 2/3 of the 80s at MIT and the remainder in
Schenectady, so I doubt my choices will correspond to anyone else's.

1.  MTV when they played videos.  Not any particular video, just the
novelty of watching mini-movies until my eyes bled.

2.  Human Sexual Response's "Land of the Glass Pinecones" -- coolest
local group ever.

3.  Mission of Burma's "That's when I reach for my revolver."

4.  25 cent bottles of Coke, with sugar, chilled to slightly below
freezing at MIT's student newspaper.

5.  $1 movies at MIT's Lecture Series Committee shows, although I used
to work for them and got in free.  Not quite killed off by student
affluence and cheap videos.

6.  [City name] House of Pizza -- odd, Greek-influenced pizza.

7.  Senior House Steer Roast and Southern Rail.

8.  Mary Chung's, especially the Suan Lashao Sho -- dumplings in sour,
spicy liquid -- and Dun Dun (cold, spicy sesame sauce) Noodles

9.  Apple's Macintosh.

10. Warehouse Liquors.