[FoRK] signs of autumn

Ken Meltsner meltsner
Thu Oct 13 07:56:54 PDT 2005

It was a hot summer in Wisconsin, and the darned Japanese lady beetles
(mutant ladybugs) multiplied beyond all bounds.  Soon as we get a good
frost, they're going to try to come inside for the warmth -- a few
winters ago we had little beetle drifts accumulating in the window
tracks and were constantly dustbusting beetles from walls, curtains,
etc.  This fall may be worse.

Autumn last year  (spring here) in Australia was odd -- sunset in
Chatswood was accompanied by the earsplitting screams of thousands of
cockatoos.  Apparently, Oz has entirely different urban pest birds
which are much more decorative than pigeons.  More annoying as well,
at least to tourists -- I remember looking up in awe at the sunset
chorus while locals ignored it entirely.

Ken