[FoRK] Re: Icon of the 80s

Ken Meltsner meltsner
Thu Oct 13 10:41:43 PDT 2005

On 10/13/05, Corinna <schultz at harlingen.isd.tenet.edu> wrote:
> Cool. My husband was in Schenectady at that time, too (before he was my
> husband, of course!) ...

Tell him  that there's a restaurant downtown near the train station
called "Pinhead Susan's" -- when he stops choking and laughing, get
him to explain.

http://flickr.com/photos/mjb/38561932/

[Nice photos of Schenectady, if that's not an oxymoron...]

Ken

P.S.  The story, for those who aren't from the Electric City:

For many years, there was a grafitto on a railroad
bridge wall  (visible from the station) that read: "Susan is a
pinhead."  It was more memorable than the giant GE sign at the end of
Erie Boulevard, and many people passing through wondered who Susan
was, and why someone felt she was a pinhead.

After several years, the message was painted over.

Soon after, the wall was re-attacked: "Susan is STILL a pinhead."

After that was painted over, it remained blank for a while, and, in a
fit of nostalgia, someone sprayed "Susan yet remains to be a pinhead."
 We could see from our apartment, and the obvious grammatical errors
bothered my wife until we moved up Union Street to a house.

The Wall Street Journal, a decade or so ago, tracked down Susan and
the original vandal.

Ken Meltsner