[FoRK] opensource frameworks to build something like craig's list

Lucas Gonze lgonze
Thu Oct 13 15:47:49 PDT 2005

Ryan King wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2005, at 8:16 PM, Sat N wrote:
>
>> Next question - what is the favorite PHP editor ( is an IDE an  alien
>> concept
>> in PHP land?) that any of you use?
>>
>> Has anyone used eclipse to do PHP development successfully?
>

> I haven't tried eclipse with php, but Zend's ZDE isn't bad for
> debugging PHP.
>
> Personally, I use vim or TextMate, with bunches of scripts built in,
> most of the time and only switch to ZDE when  *really* need a
> debugger (which is almost never).

Speaking of debugging PHP, I have blue sky item: a built-in function for
debug output.  Right now I debug with print statements like this:
print "breakpoint at ".__FILE__.":".__LINE__;

However my print statements often need to be fiddled around with to get
things like a stack trace or write the statement to a log file, and the
bug I am working on often prevents the debug info from ever being
evaluated.  The only way to get this to really work well is with a
built-in function.

This function should:
- write to rotatable log files.
- still work in the face of a compile error.  Maybe compile errors would
go to the log.
- have a stack trace.
- be able to include phpinfo() in the log.
- be able to dump all variables in scope.

What's new about this idea is that it gives up on what you'd call a real
debugger.  There's no stepping through code, that idea never works on
the web.