Fwd: Re: [FoRK] avian flu/home grown/PastFutureTense/retraction

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Thu Oct 13 20:42:20 PDT 2005

That's ok, although I couldn't tell when and if you were seriously
rebuting my arguments.  (Rebuting my spelling is easy these days.  Heck,
I'm not even sure if it's spelled "rebuting" and it's been too long a
week to check.)

To answer the immunity comment: I was referring to "natural immunity",
i.e. the capability of someone to A) avoid noticable infection and/or B)
to survive infection either because their immune system reacts quickly
enough or they just don't have the protein structure for a particular
virus to bind to.  Those kinds of immunity ARE inherited, with lots of
random exchanges and "mutations", and are said to be the whole point of
dual-sex reproduction.

The presence of particular antibodies is not passed on (except some
mother->child), but the ability to make those antibodies to a particular
response definitely is inheritable most of the time.

sdw