[FoRK] beware inevitability! a foil to the technologicalsingularity?

Russell Turpin deafbox
Fri Oct 14 13:30:40 PDT 2005

Kevin Elliott:
>I think BOTH sides of the aisle were firmly convinced that we were losing
>the Cold War in the 1970s. ..

Nope. The 1970s were the period of
detente, when the superpowers realized
that victory wasn't possible for either
side, and it was time to put a chill on
the cold war. SALT started in '69.
Nixon visited Moscow in '72. Brezhnev
visited the US in '74. Helsinki was signed
in '75. Everyone started breathing a
little easier.

>Conservatives thought we should fight, Liberals thought we should concede..

That last is just laughable.

>The idea that by the 1990's the USSR would have completely collapsed would
>have been laughable in 1985. ..

True. The future is surprising, and especially
the future of a society into which we had
so little vision.

>It would have been INSANE in 1975.

Actually, it would have been more plausible
from the viewpoint of 1975, because 20
years is a longer time.

>If the US system is going to fail, it's a virtual certainty it will fail by
>a fall into fascism. ..

I wouldn't go far as to say "virtual certainty."
The future is hard to predict, remember? But
it's a plausible concern.