Fwd: Re: [FoRK] avian flu/home grown/PastFutureTense/retraction

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Fri Oct 14 15:15:47 PDT 2005

If infection starts elsewhere, lock everyone in the house and
telecommute for weeks until A) food runs out and B) the infection has
passed.  Setup safe food pickups.

Diseases thrive on contact.  Isolation starves the cycle.  Quarantine
the well along with the sick.
Schools should assign homework for the next month via their web sites,
close, and manage communication between teachers and students.  This
ought to be done now when a certain threshold is reached.

In recent years I've taken to calling schools "disease collection and
trading points".  Parents get sick almost exclusively because of what
their children bring home, and a large percentage of other adult illness
is probably a hop or two removed from that (working with parents).

It's possible that the year-round school style where you have a couple
weeks off periodically might tend to break mini-epidemics.  This would
be an interesting study.

sdw