[FoRK] beware inevitability! a foil to the technologicalsingularity?

Stephen D. Williams sdw
Fri Oct 14 23:36:15 PDT 2005

This is like saying that the American public believe President Bush.

Assuming that my impression roughly approximates a general gestalt of
that era, I don't think that Americans believe that Reagan did more than
accelerate the fall slightly.  There's the theory that Star Wars
spending and apparently possible success caused mirrored spending and/or
resignation by Soviet military.  There were a few interactions that
probably lessened fear of unreasonableness (Red scare and its
complement) in the public.  Beyond that, the general feeling is the
house of cards and ineffective system arguments.

Imputing acceptance by the public, intellectual or not, to various
"party lines" is fraught with error.

sdw