[FoRK] beware inevitability! a foil tothe technologicalsingularity?

Albert S. albert.scherbinsky
Sat Oct 15 10:44:54 PDT 2005

--- Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net>:
> >.. There's the theory that Star Wars spending and
> apparently possible
> >success caused mirrored spending and/or resignation
> by Soviet military. ..
>
> At the time, the technical community widely
> recognized
> Star Wars as a boondoggle of the highest order. Even
> the staged tests failed. The technology of the time
> simply wasn't up to the goal.

> If you visit some GOP congregations, you'll find the
> general feeling is that Ronald Reagan single
> handedly
> pulled down the Berlin wall, that Oliver North is
> the
> paragon of virtue, and that supporting and arming
> the
> mujahedeen in Afghanistan  in the 80s had nothing to
> do with the rise of the Taliban in the 90s.

Democrats and Republicans at each other's throats
heartens this Canadian. When they are in agreement
some country is about to get the crap kicked out of
it.

Perhaps it's unsafe for me to admit this in public,
but I love America, and the American people. I love
them because Canadians are so darn much like them, and
to hate them is to hate myself. To admit this is
political suicide in Canada. Fortunately I am not
running for office.

Albert